August 29, 2016: Harlingen, TX, Mischief Managed of Blueyonder sat in a shelter in Parkville, MD with a very uncertain future ahead of the little kitten. It was a lucky day when her luminous amber eyes caught the attention of veteran cat enthusiast Vanadis Crawford who recognized her beauty and energetic personality as exactly what they were, the makings of a feline star. Mischief Managed, Missy around the house, will be just one of the many cats celebrated in the huge TICA, The International Cat Association, show in San Diego Sept. 3 - 4, 2016 at the Town & Country Resort from 10 AM to 5 PM each day. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend.
“TICA has members in over one hundred countries around the world representing people who love every aspect of the cat”, noted TICA President Fate Mays. TICA is the world’s largest genetic feline registry of pedigreed cats like Siamese, Maine Coon and Persian and TICA is the largest registry of household pet cats, cats with no pedigree from shelters, rescues and barns. Both groups compete for points, titles and honors but each cat is appreciated as purrfect no matter the category. In excess of three hundred cats are registered to compete in San Diego. The event will also feature an awards banquet to recognize the very top of the feline world including Mischief Managed of Blueyonder. Mr. Mays explained, “This year in excess of seven thousand cats and kittens competed in TICA shows in Asia, Europe, North America, South America and the Middle East. I’m proud to recognize the hard work of their owners and the beauty of these cats.”
Some highlights of the top winning cats include:
- Best Cat – A Maine Coon from Denmark is nearly twenty pounds and four feet long.
- Best Shorthair Cat – A Bengal Cat from Maryland that looks like a leopard.
- Best Kitten – A Persian kitten from the UK with eyes like copper pennies.
- Best Alter – An Exotic Shorthair (shorthair Persian) from Seattle, WA considered an angel with fur by his owner.
- Best Household Pet Kitten – A shelter rescue that was best in show kitten in three states from North Carolina.
- Best Household Pet Adult – a blue eyed wonder adopted from the Front St. Shelter in Sacramento, CA.
Judges from four continents will examine competitors over the course of two days from the household pet category as well as from the sixty-three breeds recognized by TICA ranging from the perpetually popular Siamese to the Toyger, a tiger lookalike. Asked what sets apart best in show from the rest, TICA President Fate Mays who will also be judging the competition says, “Each breed has a standard of perfection and the judges job is to compare the cat before them to the ideal described in the standard.” Each breed and its standard can be found on tica.org
The judges can’t chose the cutest or funniest, but you can! Each spectator will be given a ballot when they enter and they chose from any cat in the show to make the best. Prizes provided by makers of premier feline products like Dr.
Elsey’s Precious Cat Litter, Sturdi-Products, Royal Canin and Viagen and cash will be awarded to the top ten Spectator’s
Choice recipients on Sunday, Sept. 4 at 3:30 PM. Other highlights for visitors include:
- Feline Agility – Cat Olympics, cats jump through hoops, go through tunnels and walk the balance beam for cash
- Education Ring – Both days, Experts and Enthusiasts present the details of each breed to the public
- Cats & Kittens for Adoption – Local Rescues and Shelters have kittens and cats needing homes
- Feline Mall – Vendors with the latest and greatest in feline toys, furniture and apparel
- Over 300 of the most beautiful cats in the world
- Free cat coloring books for kids and adults!
The International Cat Association, Inc. TICA, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the welfare of all cats. TICA was founded in 1979, is represented in 104 countries and recognizes 63 breeds of cats. Photos and more details are
available by request. For more information on the show, breeds, special events or organization visit the website: http://www.ctc.volant.org/annual/